Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Random Connection

Today did not start well. I was wakened by a migraine at 4:21 a.m. (EST, to be precise) and despite two Excedrins, it never really went away and I still have the vestiges. Nonetheless, I managed to drag myself out of bed to meet a friend for coffee and go to the farmers market and run other errands. I did not go to yoga, nor did I clean house (even though that was my main goal for today).

It was while at the liquor store getting some rum for hot toddies (or rather, apple cider with rum), that a little connection happened. While I was debating which rum to get (bottom shelf, top shelf, middle shelf artisanal?), a man stopped on his way to the checkout and recommended a single barrel bourbon (Eagle Rare, if you must know). He was obviously a farmer: jeans, flannel shirt, brimmed cap. He chatted for a bit and told me a little story about that bourbon.

His father-in-law was a president (the president, perhaps) of Freddie Mac (or maybe Fannie Mae; I always confuse those two) and loved single malt Scotch and would always drink very expensive ones. At least until his son-in-law (my farmer) introduced him to Eagle Rare. It became his father-in-law's preferred drink. My farmer continued the story, saying that his father-in-law lived with him and his wife for the last four years of his life and how they'd always sit and look at the mountains from porch on the farm. He told me about his father-in-law's passing and how he still misses him, even though it's been eight years (we both got a little teary-eyed at this point). When he asked his father-in-law (who clearly was a very successful businessman) what was his secret to success, he replied "Always have a smile on your face and be kind."

Truer words were never spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment