Thursday, December 5, 2013

Resistance is Futile

NaDaYoPraMo is going passably well. I've managed to practice yoga every day so far, although hard-core practitioners would raise a questioning eyebrow. (I almost said "would have sneered" but if they are really hard-core, there would be no sneering.) I have managed to eke out about a half dozen half sun salutations along with one or two days with slightly (but only just) longer practices. I'm trying to be kind to myself and accepting that I am doing what I have time to do and what moves me. And what moves me is attempting to open my hips and loosen my hamstrings. Thanks to running and a very sedentary job, both are, shall we say, a bit tight.

One of the things I'm noticing this month is that I'm resisting more.

I find that I'm resisting and thereby sabotaging my daily yoga practice. "Just a few more minutes in bed" I think. "I have plenty of time" I think. And before I know it, the minutes have slipped away to my daydreaming and I'm forced to do the bare minimum, like the half dozen half sun salutations and maybe a balance pose.

And more importantly, my heart/soul sister is moving and my heart aches for her. She's losing a beautiful place to live, as well as friends who will eventually return to Sweden. On the other hand, her attachment to place is broken which leaves her free to follow her heart. And I'm finding that I am totally resisting that change because eventually she'll move way too far north. I know our friendship will not diminish with distance. But it will necessarily change. I will lose so much. And she will gain so much by being with her love and having the chance to grow her career.

Change will come whether or not we want it to. As they say, resistance is futile.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sticking to my pillow more these days as well. I'm going to try to get back to the yoga one the holiday is over.
    I'm sorry your friend is moving, but it does open the door for a new one to walk into your life... I hope that friend is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete