Monday, December 2, 2013

Of a Certain Age

Today's yoga practice was much abbreviated, unless you count the hour or so that I lay in sivasana, trying to get back to sleep at 2:00 a.m. It seems that no matter what time I go to bed, I wake up around midnight, then again at 1:00 or 3:00. Somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00, Emma (the cat) starts petitioning me for breakfast and there is no sleeping through it because she will knock things off the night stand or pull over the lamp (note that she only acts like that when she wants breakfast).

Sivasana did help, but then Emma woke me up at 4:00. I got up at 5:00 to feed her and went back to bed, setting the alarm for 6:30 for yoga practice. That did not go well, as I didn't get up until almost 8:00. So the morning yoga was about a half dozen half sun salutations.

This waking up in the middle of the night is highly annoying. I've heard about bimodal sleep, where one sleeps for a couple of hours, wakes up and has a snack or meditates or reads, then goes back to sleep for a couple more hours. One night, maybe when I don't have to go work the following day, I'll try getting up, just to see how well it works.

Now, to sleep, perchance to dream. Or perhaps it should be to dream, perchance to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. I miss the yoga class I had in Florida; perfection! Now I struggle to get up and do a half hearted flopping about in my cold basement ... just not the same. I think there is something about yoga with a group that energizes - and this from someone as antisocial a I am. As far as sleep, I've never slept through the night. These days I have to drug myself (naturally) or I can't even function. When I was really into the yoga I never had to try so hard to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would help to go to a yoga class at least once a week but alas, the yoga studio that I loved changed hands and is now strictly vinyasa. I do much better with Iyengar. It's a challenge to create my own yoga practice and end up doing the half-hearted flopping about on my mat.

      Delete